Skip to main content

Dying a red dress purple!

I have this amazing fire engine red dress that I bought to go to a graduation. The young man I was supporting had a black suit with a red tie and wanted me to wear the same colours. I found this dress for $10 at the local op shop and managed to pick up a pair of shoes, a scarf and a clutch bag all for the princely sum of $20 in total!



I wore it again to an 80th birthday party but decided that it was a bit bright for me and never wore it again. I love the dress but found bright, bright red to be a little (a lot, really) too bold for me. I toyed with dying it but didn't want to ruin it and so it hung in my wardrobe.

I was reading some books about clothes dying and one author pointed out that if I tried to dye it and it didn't work, I wasn't going to wear it anyway so what difference would it make to try and fail???

I couldn't refute that logic and decided to give it a go!

Here's what I did...

I researched on line for the right kind of dye for the material. The dress is a poly-cotton and I thought it would be better to dye it a darker purple than a lighter one and so looked for dyes that would dye that material. The dress has an underskirt that was tulle and I knew it wouldn't dye with this dye and decided that a flirty red petticoat was bold enough for me! In the end some of the stitching must have been done with nylons or other materials and they didn't change colour either.


Darker colours dye better if you use a hot water dye and so I looked for that in my dye as well. In the end I chose a royal blue high temperature dye. My reasoning was that the red wasn't going to wash or bleach out. It was going to be part of the new colour. If I went for a purple, I thought I would increase the red component of the final colour, rather than reduce it. I could also live with a blue dress if I was wrong! We all know that red and blue make purple and so I went for the bluest blue I could find to go with my red red.


These two packets cost me $11 each online (with free postage) and arrived in two days from the manufacturer, Tintex. I used these dyes when I dyed my faded bath towels a few years back.
 


To know how much dye to get I weighed the dress and used the Tintex online guidelines to assess how much dye I would need. As each garment is different and each dye requires different things its not so helpful to explore all the variations here.
 


I boiled up my biggest pot with fresh water and guessed how much room the dress would need.


I mixed up one sachet of dye to the manufacturers instructions and added it to the pot. If you look at the picture you can see dye granules sticking to the edge of the glass jug. Make sure they dissolve. I have granule marks on my dress as I didn't dissolve them properly. Its not obvious unless you look closely but I wish I had taken the extra minute or two to dissolve them or to sieve them out.


Add the dye to the pot and reboil it.



Wet the dress thoroughly - move it around and make sure its all wet as they dye wont dye evenly if its got dry patches in it. wring it out enough to transfer it to the pot with out drowning you and the kitchen.


Gently lower the dress in and as quickly as possible submerge the dress into the dye and keep it moving gently so it dyes evenly. I used both sachets for this dress as I wanted it to be as purple as possible.


I used gloves to move it around and lift parts out and turn it over trying to get the dye evenly into all the creases and crevices.
 

Once I had exceeded the manufacturers times and quantities, I took the pot off the heat. They assured me that It wouldn't get any darker or make any difference after 20 minutes. (I was pretty bored by it all by then anyway!)

I tipped the whole pot (very carefully) into the sink and let the dye drain away. You can see the colour of the dye compared to the dress in this image.


Then I turned on the cold tap and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed the dress until the water ran clear. I wrung it out by hand as best as I could and put it back in a bucket to take outside.


I hung it on the line in the shade (it was an overcast day) and left it to drip dry. It was really heavy and so I folded it in half. Once most of the weight of the water was gone I put it on a clothes hanger to finish drying.

The tulle part didn't dye at all even though when it was in the pot you couldn't see any red. Some of the stitching didn't dye either... You can get dye that will dye these materials but I didn't think it was really worth the extra time and expense. It adds detail and charm to the hand made product to have red stitching and a red underskirt!

All in all I think it was a success. I have a half baked thought to dye it again with the same royal blue dye to see if I can make a more blue purple that I prefer rather than the maroon reddy purple that I've got... but I haven't done anything about it!

I'm glad I did it. I wore the dress on Christmas day and I love it! If it hadn't worked, I wouldn't have worn the dress if it had been red - so it wouldn't have made any difference. I could have just given it back to charity and bought a new dress but this one fits really well and is lots of fun - it was just bright red!

If you have dyed a dress successfully or otherwise, pop a comment or a link in the comment section below and let us know how you dyed a dress new!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for being able to continue to wear a dress. 3/5 for water consumption - it took a lot of water to rinse all the dye out... I'm glad I'm not on tank water!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for getting a new Christmas dress for $22 and not having to leave the house!
Time cost: About an hour from who to on the line. A days drying and a weeks worth of anticipation of wearing a new dress on a special day!
Skill level: Just follow the instructions! Pretty basic as long as you do do what they say!
Fun-ness: great fun to have a new dress in a colour I love!

Comments

Janet Camilleri said…
It's a beautiful dress, I'd love to see a pic of you wearing it now it's been given a new lease of life!
Helen Ramsey said…
I'm really glad I found your post and instructions on "how to". I just ordered a red jumper that turned out to be the brightest red w/ a strong base color of orange. Not my shade to wear, as I have gold undertones, and I simply won't wear this shade of red as a one color outfit, esp close to my face. Before washing, I removed a little breast pocket, and was truly careful to do so without a nick of my jumper. Now on to the choice of dye. I had googled what color to use to down play such a deep bright red when I found your trial dye. Haven't done my dyeing yet, but I'll have a story to tell once I've completed my project. I've dyed approx 10 mens tee shirts in several colors, mixed and experimented until I got some beautiful colored shirts to wear around the house. Thank you for helping me decide on the jumper project. I will be in touch within a couple weeks and give you an up close look at before and after. !
Charlotte27 said…
Aprons are often used in professional kitchens, and they can also add a stylish touch to home cooking or hosting events, allowing you to express your personality while maintaining practicality.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i