Skip to main content

Sock darning!

During winter, it got a bit chilly here in Brisbane (it went under 10 degrees at night a couple of times!! Freeeeeezing!)  and I decided to darn a whole heap of my socks instead of buying new ones. It was quite therapeutic and I enjoyed playing around with different wools and techniques. Socks are so cheap these days but I like the idea of repairing something more than buying something so even my $2 socks "got the treatment"!

Here's what I did...


Darning mushroom and real wool.


In the past I have used what ever wool was floating about the house. Usually acrylic and usually brightly coloured. Im not a knitter, so wool is usually used as a trim or embellishment, hence the bright colours, but for this project I decided that if I used pure real wool and not fake plastic stuff, it might matt or felt together as it gone worn and washed - at least that was my starting theory!



 
First find your hole to darn. If you can get to it before its a hole - when its just worn - you will make it a lot easier for yourself!





 
This is one of last years patches that I want to fix. It was done with acrylic wool.
 
 
 
And this is another. The patch has held but I have worn more of the area around it. Its a good example of seeing how you actually reweave the wool to fill the hole.
 

 


Start by popping the sock on your darning mushroom. I got mine from a second hand shop but have seen them at material shops for under $5. Thread your darning needle (you need a darning needle as they have a hole big enough for wool to go through).
 



Start by sewing a running stitch on a good solid part of the sock outside the area that needs to darned. Then run the next row next to the first row but start heading towards the hole or worn area. The idea is that the starting stiches are anchored in a strong part of the sock. Don't knot the end of the wool. Just hold it against the mushroom with a finger when you need to pull on the thread.
 
 
Keep going back and forth across the hole until you are back on "solid sock" on the other side!

 
One you have done all your up and down stitching, its time to star weaving with your side to side stitching. You are literally reweaving the hole with new thread. I am actually going around last years darn, weaving the strong sock to the old darn.

 
 
 


Finish off by just running the end of the thread back across the darn. Don't use a knot at the beginning or at the end otherwise you will have a lump in your sock that will be really annoying when you wear it!

Sorry the photos aren't the best. I was so settled on the couch that I didn't want to get up and get the real camera - I used my phone camera and its not the best...
 

Darning socks is more about honing a skill rather than saving lots of dollars. Although I have found that socks with a higher cotton or wool percentage wear better and darn better than cheap polyester socks. So maybe buying better quality socks and darning them when they finally need it is better than constantly buying cheap non natural ones! I really envy people who can knit socks - I think they would be the ultimate kind of socks to have!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 for keeping something out of landfill - although a pure wool or cotton sock could go in the compost heap or in the worm farm!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for using items already in the house!
Time cost: Maybe 10-15 minutes per sock. I managed to do all of mine in an hour and a half.
Skill level: Straight line stiching!
Fun-ness: Great fun to fix something and be able to wear it again!

Comments

Silver Pen said…
On commercial poly blend socks I find that cotton embroidery floss works great for darning. It wears well and doesn't make a big lump under the foot. It's a little fiddly but I find it worth the effort.
Practical Frog said…
Ah, I hadn't thought of that! I like the wool as it "felts" together as I wear the sock. Its a shame I just read this as I've just done a sock darning session. But, I'm sure I will be darning again before Winter is over! Thanks for the tip Silver Pen! - Kara x
Unknown said…
Having 13+ years of experience serving knitting importers and brands, our knitting factory is specialized in manufacturing printed men and women socks/ kids socks/ sports socks/ yoga socks/ diabetic socks/ touchscreen gloves/ warm winter gloves/ work and safety gloves/ knit scarf and beanie hats, etc. bids socks wholesale
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre