Skip to main content

Cheap or free bases for card making!

Every so often I like to make cards for those I love! I'm not a big card maker so I don't have huge supplies of things to make cards with. But last week I needed to make a few cards and instead of using plain card - cause I'm not very good at cutting straight lines... I had a good idea for a base for my hand made cards...



Here's what I did...

I used a few of those old and yuck Christmas cards that came in $2 packets that I didn't like the picture on or ones that I wouldn't be sending back like I do most years - cards from businesses or old bosses that where not your favorite person anyway...


The old cards become the card bases that will be covered up with the papers and decorations of my choosing. You could stock up on cards just after Christmas when the packs of 20 cards that were $2 are now 50c. They come with envelopes as well - what a bargain!


The outside gets covered with...


What ever you need to do - this one is a card for one of our international students.



and the inside can be dealt with in two ways...


Either just covered completely with an appropriate paper if there is lots of writing on it,


or with just a strip of paper/embellishment if there is not much writing or just the sentiment that was printed in it by the manufacturers!


It doesn't matter what is on the cover as you can just cover it completely...
(another student card)



And even if the recipient figures out that you have used an old card, hopefully they will be so mind blown with your creative talents that they will not mind or will think even more highly as you have not squandered huge amounts of money but have used your time and talents to show how much you love them! 

That's my theory anyway!

Happy recycled card making!

Score card: 
Green-ness: 5/5 for reusing and recycling!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 for not spending any money except postage!
Time cost: Much longer than going to the shops and getting one at the news agents but much more sociable if you make cards with a coffee and a neighbour!
Skill level: Who cares!!! Anything hand made is automatically wonderful!
Fun -ness: A great sense of satisfaction to find a use for something that was just sitting uselessly around!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have never been big on giving cards as I'd rather save the money to spend on the gift which is what most people remember any way. The costs of cards today can be so excessive..that said I love the cards you have created and I believe that making your own will make the cards appreciated more than a store bought one.
africanaussie said…
How clever, my Mom re-furbishes old Christmas cards every Christmas for their church.
Practical Frog said…
Hi ladies!
Im not the biggest card maker / giver so my cards are mainly for very special occasions! They can be a present in themselves in some cases!

What does your mom do with the cards to "refurbish them? Im curious! - K xx
I thank for your time of this wonderful blog read about cleaning!!! I definitely enjoy every little bit of it and subscribed to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!
BBQ cleaning Neutral Bay
End of lease cleaning
End of lease cleaning Allawah
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre