Skip to main content

How to eat a single beetroot!

Back in New Zealand, it was easy to grow things. You popped the seedlings into the garden in the morning, watered them once and came back at dinnertime to harvest them! Well, at least that's what it felt like.

Now that I live in Queensland, Australia (by the way - that makes me a QueeNZlander in local parlance!) Things are a bit different in the garden. You pop the seedlings in the garden in the morning and by lunch time they are withered, dried up and blow into dust by 3pm.

It has been a long and frustrating journey to grow anything but tumble weeds in the back yard (imagine high noon in the desert and you have the idea!) but today... *drum roll please* I harvested a single beetroot!

Now, the issue was how to enjoy such a delicacy between the two of us (our latest student from Austria was comatose after a two day flight and probably wasn't going to be excited by my single beetroot dish no matter how exotic...) Since I was knee deep in organic and permaculture books at the time of the harvest - it had to be a raw beetroot concoction!
 
Here's what I did...

My single beetroot harvest - with the bowl of greens for our salad lunch in the background.

The greens and the beetroot leaves went into the salad...

And the beetroot got peeled and grated - once I got him cut, I saw the beginnings of the white rings. I think he just might be one of those chioggia one. That's an heirloom variety that has white and beetroot rings all the way through it. I think I will let the others grow a bit bigger before harvesting them to see if the rings get more pronounced.

My bro-in-law gave me a recipe for a raw beetroot and chocolate slice a while back and so I decided to make a variation on that theme for my very first beetroot harvest meal!

Ingredients:
1x beetroot of probable heirloom heritage (or any home grown beetroot really!) - grated (preferably by the husband. I don't know why but I'm sure it tastes better!)
3 tablespoons of cocoa
about a cup of shredded coconut
about 1/2 cup of dates shuzzzed up in a processor

He then mixed this altogether and pressed it very firmly into a tin, popped it in the fridge and we had it for dessert cut into squares with yoghart.

But I didn't have any dates, or enough coconut so I improvised...

1x beetroot as above
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
3 tablespoons of cocoa
A couple of handfuls of dried mixed fruit (like for fruit mince pies)
10 crushed plain bikkies left over from the cheesecake-in-a-jar experiment
and a blob of butter

mixed thoroughly
Pressed into a tin and popped in the fridge for 3/4 of an hour
ate in the garden with a blob of yogurt in the company of the husband and a few chickens!


Quite yummy!


Its a bit cherry ripe-ish with a hint of earth and the squish of raisins! It might work for a kids dessert (or maybe breakfast?) certainly worth a try, at any rate!

If you have never had fresh beetroot before - this has got to be a wonderful introduction to the joys of such a vegetable! Give it a go next time you have a fresh beetroot just lying around the place!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 to grow and eat your own fresh raw food!
Frugal-ness: 5/5 to make dessert with what you have to hand!
Time cost: About 5 mins to make. 3/4 hour to "set" and not long enough to savour!
Skill level: very basic - doesn't even involve turning on the oven!
Fun -ness: So much fun to eat your own harvest!

Comments

Kathryn Ray said…
Fortunately beets grow very well here... Sugar Beets are a huge local crop... even one of the High Schools we competed against is sports were called the "Beet Diggers." ;-)

My favorite way to eat beets are roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper.

I haven't tried them with chocolate before... might have to think of that one... minus the coconut though. ;-)
Practical Frog said…
There are thousands of recipies for chocolate cake with beetroot in it on the Internet! I saw some nice looking chocolate brownies as well - your choice for chocolate and beetroot recipies will be quite vast! Let me know how you go! - K xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i