Skip to main content

LifeLine Bookfest Volenteering is fun!

I have been a fan of the LifeLine Bookfest for a long time. Every six months, LifeLine holds a humongous secondhand book sale at the Brisbane Convention Centre - and I'm there!

There is nothing like the anticipation of opening up a book and delving into the pages for information or to find yourself in another world... Thank goodness that its open for the long weekends. I can take a while to choose a book... or ten!

Here's what I did...

Back in January, they had a stall recruiting volunteers and on a whim, I decided to put my name down. That was the last time I thought about it until I got an email a month ago asking me if I was still interested? They are very professional these LifeLine volunteer organisers and my email had info about everything from food to parking, to the various jobs up for grabs and how to get in early!

I got quite excited about the prospect of spending a weekend with a million books (an enthusiasm for which my husband did not seem share as enthusiastically) and I put myself down for an eight hour shift and told them to put me where ever they needed me since it was all new and exciting to me.

When the Sunday rolled around wild and windy, I assumed that not many people would travel into the city to grab a book bargain but I was wrong. Business for the Lifeline bookfest was booming and the volunteers were busy little bees.

I caught the train in for 11.30am giving me an hour to look at books before I started at 12.30pm. I don't know what I was thinking - an hour to look at a million books... I needed longer surprisingly!

And this is only about a third of the room that the books were in....
When I signed on, I was given a shift as a "pricer" and joined a team of three others who processed the books that people were buying. I counted them (they were $1 each in this section) and passed them onto the next person who packed them. I wrote the total on a piece of paper and the buyer gave that to the person on the cash register who took the money.
I had a ball chatting to people about the books they had bought and was quite surprised when my break came around two hours later. LifeLine knows how to look after their volunteers - Afternoon tea was the most yummy bikkies and bottomless tea and coffee!

Quick photo session during a break in the queue!
At the end of my four hours on register 13, my husband tracked me down and we signed him in and moved to register 15 in the $2.50 section. Once again I was a pricer (Spuiker, LifeLine advocate, Book Lover/Critic and information booth) and John was a cash taker. Never having used a till before, he had a steep learning curve but after three sales, he was on a roll! For his first real official volunteer role where his wife hadn't been the event organiser - he enjoyed it very much!

My cup of tea and my ready reckoner to calculate how much 34 books at $2.50 each might be!
John getting driving Instructions on the till. Three sales and he was good to go solo!

If you have ever thought of putting up your hand for something like this - I really encourage you to actually do it! We met some wonderful people, ate some fantastic biscuits, got free parking, grabbed some great books and had a ball to boot!

Score card:
Green-ness: 5/5 Very green to volunteer for a charity
Frugal-ness: 5/5 Always a bargain to be had at the BookFest!
Time cost: As much or as little as you want to give or have time for.
Skill level: They will teach you what they need you to do.
Fun-ness: Awesome fun!!!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

What to do when your cat attacks a bird... and doesn't kill it.

We have an eight year old cat who we got as a stray about six years ago. The vet reckoned she was about two when we got her and we did all the right things and got her spayed and vaccinated and all that stuff. She loves people and no matter where you are in the house or garden, she will not be far away. She really good with kids and will put up with the squishiest cuddles and a far bit of toddler tail fascination before bolting out the door to escape. She is well fed (despite the look she is giving me and the empty bowl below...) but not fat - but still the  urge to hunt and subsequently kill still seems to be quite strong. Last weekend, she pounced out of nowhere on a rainbow lorrikeet - thankfully my husband and a band of teenage boys were also there and managed to grab the bird before the cat had done more than pounce. Now we have a slightly mangled still alive but obviously unwell bird on our hands - what do you do? Here's what we did... We found a box - popped an old

Easy to make fabric covers for milk crates!

Like most households, milk crates appear in and about our house as they are the right size to sit on, strong enough to stand on and the right shape to store things in. They are usually free or picked up for a dollar or two at garage sales or at dump/tip shops. They come in red and blue in our area (depending on weather they are originally from Paul's or Dairy Farmers!) and that simply doesn't go with my outdoor decor - neither does the plastic look but that's another issue. Something had to be done. I decided to cover them with material that fitted in with the rest of our current outdoor setting - A quick look on the Internet for inspiration and confidence and... The finished product being modelled by the cat! Here's what I did... I started with the standard Brissy Blue and Red Milk Crates... Then I bought a sheet and a couple of pillow cases from the local Footprints Op Shop This is less a pattern and more a method to follow - Cut the sheet i

Killing cockroaches with boric acid v borax!

We live in Queensland. We have cockroaches. Lots of cockroaches! Why the NSW rugby team is called the Cockroaches is a mystery to me - surely ours are not only bigger but more plentiful??? At any rate, I don't like living with them (and I'm quite sure they  are not so fond of me at the moment!!) and I have been going through the usual gauntlet of sprays, solutions and bombs to get rid of them... But I'm not so keen on the chemical aspect of all this spraying and bombing. I hate the smell and can almost feel disease and cancer growing in me every time I spray. I'm OK with the resident cockies getting a lungful of chemicals and then keeling over but I feel its impolite (and probably illegal) if my guests and family members do the same thing!!! We went through a faze of killing them by hand (and flyswatter and rolled up newspaper and underfoot) but its hard and frustrating work and it probably was only culling the dumb and slow ones - leaving the smart fast ones to bre